piątek, 21 października 2016

TERESA ŻYLIS-GARA, ŁÓDŹ, OCTOBER 12, 2016

Prof. Jerzy MARCHWIŃSKI
Rejowiecka 17A
PL 04-897 WARSZAWA
Tel/Fax: (48-22) 872 1500
Mob: (48) 601 235 576
Blog: jerzy-marchwinski.Blogspot.com 





Teresa ŻYLIS-GARA

Address
On the Occasion of Conferring Honorary Doctorate of the Academy of Music in Łódź


Teresa Żylis-Gara


        I have been hesitating quite long before responding to Professor Urszula Kryger's invitation to contribute an address about Teresa Żylis-Gara upon her receipt of the honorary doctorate of the Academy of Music in Łódź. I was not sure I would be able to express in words the grandeur of this extraordinary Artist.

        However, as I had been lucky and privileged to be her artistic partner for some time, I finally decided to write a personal reflection.

        A few years ago when David Shengold of Opera News asked me to write a short piece about Teresa Żylis-Gara. I sent him just two sentences expressing the essence of my thoughts about this great artist: „Teresa’s artistry was not only at the highest professional level, but also full of light, love and beauty. I think that quite exceptional even among the greatest artists.”  Let it be the motto of this résumé on the great Teresa Żylis-Gara.

        I first met Teresa when her ardent fan and Polish Radio journalist Jan Weber told me that he would soon air an interview with her, followed by her recital with Erik Werba. When I heard her speaking and then singing, my first impression   was that of   overwhelming, authentic power. I did not detect a slightest trace of affectation or coquetting during the interview, and I was awed by the indescribable beauty of her voice and her purely natural narration. 

        Our second meeting, this time “live”, happened in New York.  My agent told me that Teresa Żylis-Gara would like to meet me.  While heading to her Central Park West apartment, I felt quite emotional. I was incredibly moved by her proposal to partner her at recordings and recitals.  After bidding goodbye, I immediately went to a nearby florist, to send her roses just before I left for the JFK. Waiting at the airport for the departure, I heard my name from the loudspeakers. I was requested to go to Pan-American desk. There, I received a thank-you message for the flowers, signed by Teresa. I was truly impressed, as there aren’t many famous opera singers who would think about such a small but very charming gesture.

        Afterwards, I met her again in my tiny studio apartment in Żoliborz, Warsaw, where we had our first rehearsal. I felt no anxiety or stage-fright.  I only wanted to play on my usual level.  The first song was “Atchevo?” (Why?), by Pyotr Tchaikovsky.  Before playing the opening bars of the song, I asked her about the tempo.  “Just play it,” she said.  So I played.  There were no problems whatsoever, just the feeling of great ease, authenticity and space - the space which contained both her marvellous voice and my totally free piano music. 

        The sensation of freedom and space had always accompanied me during all our recordings and concerts at home, in France and in the U.S. I felt some usual tension before the performance but there had never been any stage-fright or anxiety – just the joy of creating beauty together.

        I have recently been among the audience at the master course held by Teresa at the Chopin Academy of Music in Warsaw. I was moved by her emotional involvement and generosity with which she shared her amazing knowledge with the young singers, and by her focus on the beauty of interpretation. The live demonstration of the truth of what she had just said was stunning and unforgettable. Her voice still amazes with its beauty untouched by the passage of time, and her artistic message always seems perfectly accurate.

        Let me mention one more significant and extraordinary talent of hers.   Teresa has a great ability of creating the reality.  Her everyday life is a natural process of weaving something unique and beautiful.  It leaves no space for platitudes and trivia; even more, it allows no affectation or ostentation. Everything is natural and authentic.

         As I have already said in my motto, this is how I perceive the vivid presence of light, emotion and beauty permeating her whole existence.


        (Jerzy Marchwiński) 


Warszawa, January 31, 2016     


Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz