piątek, 12 marca 2021

Conversation: David Shengold-Myra Huang-Jacek Nędzyński

  

Many thanks for the book!

Odebrane

David Shengold

Załączniki10 lut 2021, 03:45

do Jerzy, Jerzy

Dear Jerzy-

I wanted to know that I *finally* got a chance to read your book, which I greatly enjoyed. Much wisdom there, and such a judicious tone! I sent it to one of the most accomplished collaborative pianists on the American Scene, Myra Huang. She was delighted to receive it and sent me a copy of a letter she writes to the Grammy Nominations Committee (a recording she made this year with a tenor is nominated this year). I thought you would appreciate her stance, so am I attaching it with her permission.

All best wishes to all of you. Let us hope we return to some semblance of normality soon!

Cheers- David

 

Myra Huang

303 W.66th St.  Apt 4EW

New York, NY 10023

myrahuang@gmail.com

www.steinway.com/artists/myra-huang

 

November 24th, 2020

Recording Academy

3030 Olympic Blvd.

Santa Monica, CA 90404

 

To the Recording Academy:

My name is Myra Huang, and I am a member of the Recording Academy since 2017.  I am a pianist and was nominated for a Grammy in the “Best Solo Classical Voice” category for my album “Gods and Monsters” with tenor Nicholas Phan in 2018, and we have been nominated again for this upcoming Grammy year in the same category, for our album “Clairieres: Songs by Lili and Nadia Boulanger.”

I thank you for the great honor that the Academy brings to artists around the world, and for the longstanding tradition of all the advocacy for the arts that you have created through your esteemed organization.  Especially in this painful the year of 2020, your organization provides moments of hope, acknowledgment, and leadership to the arts which has been one of the hardest-hit industries due to the pandemic. 

I am writing today because I do hold one complaint, which is that in the Grammy’s listing of the artists in the “Best Classical Solo Voice Album” category, my instrument is listed as “accompanist,” as it is also for the other pianists who were nominated in this category.  I object to this word because the word “accompanist” infers that my role was “lesser than,” when in fact I consider the genre of my album with Nick as chamber music, where all instruments involved are equal.  Art Song is chamber music for voice and piano, not voice and accompanist.  Not only that, I feel that some dignity is taken from me when I am not listed with my instrument, which is the piano.  Every other instrumentalist is assigned their due title, whether it be a conductor, a string quartet, a choir, or an orchestra.  Only the piano somehow is converted to the word “accompanist,” and it is hurtful to all pianists who have equally contributed to their ensembles and albums.   

I sincerely hope you will consider changing the word “accompanist” to “pianist” or perhaps even just “piano” in the future.  I have seen the many changes the Academy has been making in recent times to bring equity, acknowledgment, and progress to supporting all artists, and so I am hopeful that I can be heard in this matter.

Very gratefully yours,

Myra Huang


Jerzy Marchwinski

sob., 13 lut, 17:45

Hi, David. - I got it! - The Myra tekst is great! I am truly happy not to be alone. Myra's words you can find in my Essay

David Shengold

sob., 13 lut, 20:17

do mnie

Hi Jerzy

Glad to hear that you are well and fighting the good fight!

Let me ask Myra if you can quote her letter before you do- OK?

Best- David

David Shengold

niedz., 14 lut, 22:54

do mnie


Hi Jerzy

Myra Huang wrote back, about your circulating her letter:

"How delightful would be my honor, of course.  I also have great news - I have just informed this week that my proposal to the Recording Academy was accepted and passed, so beginning with this year’s new entries, pianists will no longer be called “accompanists.”  A small but important victory :).

Please give Mr. Marchwinski my best wishes and my gratitude for his solidarity."

All best- David

 

Accompanist vs. Pianist and the Recording Academy

Odebrane

Jacek Nędzyński

niedz., 7 mar, 21:58 (2 dni temu)

do myrahuang, mnie

Dear Ms. Huang,

I am the personnel Manager of Professor Jerzy Marchwinski. (www.nedzynski.com/jerzymarchwinski_masterclasses.htm

Mr. David Shengold informed us about your letter concerning terms accompanist and pianist, to the Recording Academy and its reaction. Today I’ve sent a message to the Recording Academy.

Professor Jerzy Marchwinski asked me to send you a copy of the message, you may be interested in. Below please, find the text.

 Wishing you all the best

 Jacek Nedzynski

 

Jacek Nedzynski Artists Management

Regatowa 12, 60-480 Poznan, Poland

Ph.(+48) 61.848.2565, mob.(+48) 606.884.609

www.nedzynski.com

 

 

Dear Sirs,

Mr. David Shengold has informed us that  Ms. Myra Huang, a pianist twice nominated for the  Best Solo Classical Voice Grammy Award for her recordings with a singer has requested in her letter of November 24, 2020, that you should drop the term accompanist and replace it with pianist and also, which is most important,  that the Recording Academy accepted her request.

We welcome the news with great joy, all the more so because  Professor Jerzy Marchwiński postulated exactly the same concept more than half a century ago.

The Professor, represented by my Artists Management, is the founder of the Chair of Piano Chamber Music at the Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Warsaw and had been its long-standing head for many years (www.nedzynski.com/jerzymarchwinski_masterclasses.htm ). As a pianist, he worked with many outstanding performers including Maureen Forrester, Régine Crespin, Ewa Podleś, Konstanty Andrzej Kulka, and Andrzej Hiolski. 

The Professor's efforts to ensure that a piano artist performing together with a singer or instrumentalist should be called a pianist rather than an accompanist, in connection with his idea of the indispensable musical partnership between these artists, has become one of the leitmotifs of his professional activity 

(http://www.nedzynski.com/jerzymarchwinski_partnershipinmusic.htm ). 

He wrote many essays, articles, and lectures on that subject, which has fortunately resulted in the disappearance of the term accompanist from the media in Poland and most European countries.

It gives us great satisfaction that the term pianist has been accepted by the Recording Academy. We sincerely congratulate you and hope that this will become an example and a guideline for other American media and music institutions.

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Wishing you all the best, sincerely yours,

Jacek Nedzynski

 

Jacek Nedzynski Artists Management

Regatowa 12, 60-480 Poznan, Poland

Ph.(+48) 61.848.2565, mob.(+48) 606.884.609

www.nedzynski.com

 

 

 

 




 

 

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz